Our Vision – Performing Arts Centre on View Street
Hermann’s is just one of the amazing venues located at 753 View Street that a group of dedicated professionals are working to transform into a Performing Arts Centre. Built for the performing arts , it is an ideal location. We call our vision for the property “Arts On View“. Other buildings may also need to be considered.
The Jazz on View Society was founded to save Hermann’s Jazz Club and we hope to open up this purpose-built, downtown building for live performances and rehearsals, performer and student workshops, arts incubation and office space for smaller arts groups that can’t afford Victoria’s steep rents.
Five large and well-designed, acoustic spaces are suitable for:
● Live Music
● Spoken Word
● Performing Arts
● Visual Arts
● You fill in the blank!
This attractive building was rebuilt and seismically upgraded in 2001, purpose-designed for performance and arts entertainment, and includes:
- At 753 View Street, the popular Hermann’s Jazz Club, an all-ages venue that seats 140 patrons and hosts 400 live performances annually, with a restaurant and bar.
- Next door on the ground level, a 2,000 square foot venue hosts the View Street Social Club, where anyone can spark up a conversation and relax.
- At the back of the second floor, “Cabaret 260” is a beautiful, 5,450 square foot, fully licensed, performance hall with multiple levels and the capacity to seat and serve 260 people. Arts On View would like to open it up for performances, rehearsals and workshops.
- “80 On Second” is an intimate performance venue seating 80 in a licensed lounge with great views of View Street and the Cathedral.
- Like all performance venues in the building, “60 On Top” has a stage. The licensed lounge seats 60 and enjoys a bird’s eye view of St. Andrew’s Cathedral and spire.
- Building renovations could include an elevator, expanded restaurant services, arts offices, outdoor garden spaces, a music studio/control room, green room, shared amenities, etc. A third floor, unused mezzanine overlooks the performance hall and has great potential for redevelopment.
Our Board of Directors is a professional group of artists, administrators, managers, fundraisers, media marketers, philanthropists and concerned citizens — but we can’t purchase this remarkable building without your help .
Together governments and philanthropists , who understand the long-term value of property ownership for the non-profit arts community, can secure this building and property, plus an Arts Endowment, in perpetuity to ensure a thriving arts scene in downtown Victoria. It’s not only “shovel ready”, it’s ready for arts tenants immediately. Only building ownership holds us back.
Imagine preserving not only Hermann’s Jazz Club and live music at 753 View Street for all ages, but also supporting theatre and the performing arts, visual arts, and all the arts. Let our imaginations soar! Together we can make our dreams come true.
Help keep the performing arts alive in Victoria. Our goal is to raise $8 million over the next five years, to purchase, renovate and establish an Endowment for the Arts to support the arts in the Capital Region forever. We have a phased development plan, to stage this project over time, starting with leasing, then building purchase, renovations and creating an Arts Endowment.